Thailand Non-Immigrant Visa-ED

The Non-Immigrant Visa-ED is issued by the Thai Government to foreign nationals who wish to study, go for study or observation tours. It includes those who are going there to participate in projects or activities, attend seminars and training courses or conferences in Thailand.  This type of visa allows you to stay in Thailand for a year with an extension option within the first 90 days of your stay in the country.

Before you are granted a non-immigrant Visa-Ed you need to comply with the required documents and adhere to the advisories and rules of Thailand on visa issuance. Below are the general requirements but with additional school-specific requirements.

  • Duly filled and signed visa application form
  • 3.5 x 4.5cm recent passport-sized picture
  • Valid passport for 6 months
  • Original letter from a Thailand school complete with school logo and signature of authorized school signatory
  • Copy of business registration and license of the school accepting the applicant
  • School profile to include list of shareholders of the school. All school documents must be signed by authorized school personnel and must contain the school seal.
  • Airline ticket with date of entry and flight number

For students enrolling in government universities, they are required to present the following before they are granted non-immigration visa-Ed

  • Letter-request for a visa for the applicant from the head of the concerned department of the university
  • Copy of a valid passport good for 6 months

For students wishing to study in a Private University or international school, here are the requirements.

  • Letter from department head requesting visa for the applicant.
  • School registration paper
  • Letter of appointment by the School rector (for international school)
  • Letter of appointment from the School principal (for private schools)
  • Copy of passport valid for 6 months

Foreign nationals attending conferences, seminars and training course or who are involved in projects in Thailand must present the following documents before they are granted non-immigration visa-Ed.

  • An official letter to the Government of Thailand with information about the applicant such as position of the applicant, length of service or employment, salary and the purpose of the visit to Thailand.
  • Acceptance letter from the school, organization or institution to which the applicant will be studying or the company coordinating the seminar, conference or project that the applicant will be participating in.

Citizens of Nigeria shall provide 2 photos and application forms while nationals of Bangladesh, India, Nepal Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Palestine Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen are required to provide 3 application forms and 3 photos.

National of North Korea and China are required to provide 4 application forms and 4 photos and Passport holders from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Palestine, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and North Korea are requested to file for application at the Thai Embassy / Consulate-General their own country.

As normally done Consular officers reserve the sole discretion to approve or deny granting of visas and the right to require additional documents as deemed necessary.

Thailand Non-Immigrant Visa O-A

The Non-Immigrant Visa O-A is normally issued to 55-year old foreign nationals who decide to stay for a long time or plans to retire in Thailand for a period of one year with an option for extension subject to Thailand immigration rules and regulations. During the stay in Thailand the applicant is not allowed to work. Not everyone is given the opportunity to own a non-immigrant visa O-A, unless an applicant possesses the following qualifications, you are

  • 50 years of age on the day of submission of the application
  • not suffering from tuberculosis, leprosy, elephantiasis, drug addiction, syphilis and other diseases contained in ministerial regulation no. 14 B.E 2535
  • allowed entry by the Immigration Act of 1979
  • a resident of the country where you submitted your application
  • have no criminal record

When you have complied with the qualifications, you are required to complete the required documents.

  • A passport or travel document.

The visa applicant must show a passport valid for one year and a half. The passport to be shown must have at least one blank page.

  • Proof of income or bank deposit statement

Show proof of income not lower than 65,000 baht per month or bank statement with bank balance of 800,000 baht or a bank deposit plus income not lower than 800,000 baht a year. Bank deposits must be accompanied by the original bank certification, certifying the existence of such deposit with the bank

  • Three duly filled up and signed visa application form with 6 recent passport size pictures
  • Certification that there is no criminal record of the applicant in Thailand or the country of origin of the applicant. The certification must be valid for 3 months.
  • Medical certificate

The medical certificate stating that the applicant has no prohibitive disease as contained in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 valid for 3 months. It must be issued by the country of the applicant.

  • Marriage Certificate

In cases where the spouse is not eligible for an O-A visa, the spouse will be issued visa for temporary resident under O. In this case, the marriage certificate will be required.

The consular officer reserves the right to demand for additional documents as he deem necessary for the evaluation of the eligibility of the applicant.

Extension guidelines:

  • If a foreign national wishes to extend for another year of stay in Thailand, a request for extension must be submitted to the Bureau of Immigration.
  • Applications for extension must be submitted to the office of the Bureau of Immigration to be accompanied with a proof of income or deposit for not less than 800,000 baht per year. An applicant can be given 1 year extension at the discretion of the immigration officer.

During the first 90-days in Thailand, it is the obligation of the foreign national to report to the immigration officer covering the area where the foreign national is residing or to the police where there is no immigration office hear the area of residence.

Thailand Non Immigrant Visa B

Entering the Kingdom of Thailand with a non-immigrant visa B is allowed for business purposes. This type of Visa is issued by the Thai Government to foreign nationals who wish to do business in Thailand for a period of 90 days with an option for extension. The applicant can be granted extension for a maximum of one year provided the requirements for extension are complied with and shown to the consular officer for evaluation.

The Thai Government requires documents when you apply for a non-immigrant visa B for Thailand and here are the requirements:

  1. Duly accomplished and signed visa application form
  2. 3.5 x 4.5 cm recent passport-sized photo
  3. Valid Passport  for 6 months
  1. financial statement of the applicant
  1. Company related documents
  • Registration documents of the company in  Thailand
  • List of shareholders of the company in Thailand that is inviting the applicant
  • Copy of the business registration and license of the inviting company and certified by authorized director(s)
  • Company profile or brief
  • Business operation detailed information
  • List of company foreign workers with their names, nationalities and positions
  • Location map of the company
  • Financial statements: Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax
  • Alien income tax return
  • Registration of Value added Tax
  •  Letter from applicant’s company indicating reason for visit
  • Original Invitation letter from a company in Thailand that is written in the company’s letter head and signed by the authorized company representative.

There are also requirements that you need to comply when you apply for extension of your non-immigrant visa B such as Valid Non-B visa, proof of corporate formation, location map of work place with pictures of the building with address and logo of the company. A list of shareholders, personal income tax, financial status such as balance sheet, statement of income, Application form, copy of Applicants passport, copy of withholding tax, latest 3 months social security contributions, etc are required.

When there are required documents that cannot be produced by the applicant, a certification of the unavailability of the documents must be submitted in lieu of the needed documents.  Documents in languages other than English must be translated in Thai. If these documents were translated into English then it has to be notarized.

As always, the consular officers may require additional documents they deem necessary for the approval of your non-immigrant visa. They have the sole discretion to deny or approve your non-immigrant visa depending on your qualification.

Visa on Arrival Thailand

The VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA) is a type of Visa being issued by the Thai Government to nationals of countries who are visiting the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism or leisure purposes for not more than 15 days.  There are countries that are allowed VOA provided their citizens visiting Thailand comply with the following requirements:

  1. Strictly for Leisure or Tourism Visit

The Visit On Arrival is issued to foreign nationals of the identified countries that are covered under this rule. The travel to Thailand must be purely for leisure and tourism purposes.

  1. Return flight ticket

Foreign nationals desiring to visit Thailand on VOA must present a return ticket as a proof that they are leaving Thailand after the 15 or 30 days. Non presentation of return flight ticket is a ground for entry refusal.  Open tickets are not given VOA. Tickets for land transportations are not accepted as proof that you are leaving Thailand.

  1. Financial Capability to undertake the travel

Entering Thailand for tourism and leisure requires that you present documents to prove that you have funds to undertake the travel while in Thailand. The fund required is at least 20,000 THB per person.  You will also be asked to pay 1,900 THB as entry fee. However, this amount is not fixed and may change

d.    Passport holder of the countries allowed to posses VOA.

The applicant from the countries with permission to possess VOAs must have a valid passport for at least six-month with tickets for the return trip that can be used during the 15 day stay in Thailand.

Aside from complying with the conditions set forth, applicants for VISA ON ARRIVAL must be a passport holder from any of the following: Andorra,  Bhutan, Maldives,  Malta,  Bulgaria, Ukraine, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic,  India, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan,  Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Russian Federation, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Taiwan

  1. Present a fully filled up application for VOA with recent photo and pay 1,000 Baht at the international checkpoint designated for the purpose but there are designated international checkpoints that are authorized by the Thai Government to issue Visit On Arrival Visa.
Samui Airport , Surat Thani Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
U Tapao Airport, Rayong Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
Hatyai International Airport , Songkhla  
Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai Phuket International Airport , Phuket
Suvarnabhumi Airport Don Muang International Airport , Bangkok
Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket
Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi
Songkhla Harbour Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani  

As a general rule, foreign nationals entering Thailand under the VOA are not permitted to extend their stay in the country except for cases such as illness.  When you are sick and cannot travel to exit Thailand and your 15 days are up, you file an application for extension at the Office of Immigration Bureau.


Thailand Transit Visa

The Transit Visa of Thailand is a type of visa that is issued to persons who wants to enter Thailand for more than 12 hours. There are 3 types of visa based on the purpose of your visit to Thailand.

  • Category TS Visa

When you are just passing through Thailand or staying in Thailand airport for more than 12 hours to your country of destination, you are required to secure a Category TS visa.  You have to show proof of ticket to the destination country or to re-enter your own country.

  • Category S Visa

You are required to secure a Category S visa when you are participating in any sports events in Thailand. You will show the letter of invitation from Thailand and a letter from your organization that sent you for the said activity.

  • Category C Visa

When you are entering Thailand as the person responsible for a conveyance crew in any part of the country such as port, station and other areas, you are required to secure a Category C visa. You must present a letter from your organization and an invitation from Thailand.

The requirements for securing a visa is generally the same as when you get any other visa for Thailand except when the immigration officers or consular officers  require you to present additional documents as necessary.

  • completed and signed visa application form
  • One 3.5 x 4.5cm  recent passport-sized photograph
  • One set of passport photocopy page 1-5, renewal page, correction page & last Thai visa page if any.
  •  Valid Passport for not less than 6 months
  • The Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit
  • Proof of financial capability such as bank statement for the last 6 months or bank certification of insolvency to undertake the travel of $1000 per individual and $2000 per family
  • Photocopy of air ticket/printout of the booking.
  • Visa for the destination country or proof  in a passport or travel document for Category TS
  • Thailand’s invitation containing the participation of the applicant in the sports event in Thailand (Category S)
  • Seaman book and letter for person in charge of a conveyance crew coming to a port, station or area in Thailand for category C.

Below are additional guidelines and requirements for specific countries or country specific requirements for those citizens wishing to visit or pass through Thailand

  1. Nationals of Nigeria are required to provide 2 application forms and 2 photos
  2. Applicants from the following countries are required to provide 3 application forms and 3 photos:

Thailand Tourist Visa

Are you planning to go for a vacation in Thailand? Then find out what you need to do and know to get yourself into Thailand for your visit. Of course you know that you need to have documentations to be allowed to enter Thailand and that is your passport and a tourist visa. The tourist visa is given to people who are entering Thailand for leisure.

Here are some questions that needed to be answered when you are securing a tourist visa for Thailand.

  1. Is there a need for a Visa to enter Thailand?

Normally, foreign nationals visiting Thailand are allowed to stay for 30 or 60 days depending on which country they come from. The first thing that you need to do, is to know whether your country has visa exemption agreements with the government of Thailand to save you from wasting your time and money. If your country has one, then you are allowed to stay in Thailand for 60 days. The visa is required only when you are planning to stay for more than 60 days under the exemption agreement.

If your country does not have any exemption agreement with Thailand, you are permitted to stay in Thailand for 30 days with your tourist visa with an option for extension.

  1. What are the requirements needed to get a visa?

  • Documents to show your financial capability to undertake the travel such as bank certificate showing that you have enough funds of 20,000 or 40,000 baht per individual and per family respectively.

  • Valid passport good for 6 months

  • A 4 X 6cm picture

  • Round trip plane tickets

  • Visa application form completely and accurately filled out.

  • Payment for the Visa

  1. How long are tourists allowed to stay in Thailand?

When you are entering Thailand under the visa exemption, you are allowed to stay for 60 days without securing a visa. Other foreign nationals visiting Thailand with a tourist visa are allowed to stay for 30 days. The countries worldwide are categorized by the Thai Government into two, based on the permissible length of stay of nationals of these countries in Thailand. There are those who are allowed to stay for 30 and 60 and 90 days.

  1. What is required if a tourist desires to extend his vacation or change his visa status?

If you desire to extend your vacation or if you want to change your visa status, you need to apply for permission with the immigration office with a fee. The grant or denial of any application is the sole discretion of the immigration officer.

  1. When does the tourist visa expire?

Normally, visas are good for 90 to 180 days or 3 months to 6 months. It means you must use it within 180 day or 6 months. Once your 180 days or 6 months are over, your visa is no longer valid and you need to apply for another one.

  1. How long does it take to get a visa?

Your visa can be processed and released in 2 days when the applicant appears at the embassy and about a week if you mailed your application. However, in some countries like London, the Thai Embassy prohibits application through the post.

Generally, any foreign national who enters Thailand must have a valid passport recognized by the Thai government Travelers from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Syria, Nepal, Iraq, Lebanon, Iran, Sudan, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Yemen and the states of Palestine shall apply at the Thai Embassy in their countries.